Saturday, May 24, 2014

Beginner's Makeup Guide: Product recommendations for someone who is new to makeup!

Hello! I've seen this video topic on YouTube and decided to make a blog post on it!

This post is for the person who is starting from scratch or who already has a few items but wants a complete face of makeup. I didn't include bronzers, highlighters, lip liners, etc. because I wanted this post to be just he essentials. All of the products below are drugstore products, so they are budget friendly and can (hopefully) be found in any local drugstore.


Face:

- I would recommend a tinted moisturizer, BB cream, or CC cream for any beginners because they are more forgiving than foundations and can be applied with just your fingers. The Rimmel BB Cream ($6.99) is best for oily skin and the Revlon BB Cream ($10.99) is best for dry skin, but of course you can buy which ever you want.



- If you have oily skin, a powder will be very helpful to keep your skin matte. If you want don't travel often, then I would recommend a loose powder because you get more product for the price. But if you travel often or want to take your powder to go so you can touch up throughout the day, then I would recommend a pressed powder. Either the Palladio Loose Rice Powder ($4.99) or the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder ($4.99) are good picks for an oil absorbing powder.



- Concealer was the first makeup items that I started using! I think when someone is starting to use makeup, a concealer that can correct dark circles, blemishes, and redness all in one is best. I would recommend the L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer ($8.99).



- A subtle blush can be a quick way to brighten your complexion. These blushes by Rimmel ($4.99) are not only affordable but are subtle so you can't overdo it. They are also very blendable which makes them perfect for anyone getting started in makeup.


Eyes:

- I think that an eye primer is essential if you want your eyeshadow to last all day without creasing or fading. I love the E.L.F. Eyelid Primer ($1 at Target) because it is sheer so it works on all skin tones, plus I find that it is very comparable to higher end primers!



- Eyeshadow is my favorite type of makeup but it can look messy or unblended if you are just getting started into makeup. I would recommend something sheer at first, then when you feel more comfortable applying eyeshadow you can move on to more pigmented shadow. My sheer pick would be the CoverGirl trio in Shimmering Sands ($4.99) and my pigmented pick would be the Wet n Wild Color Icon trio in Walking on Eggshells ($2.99). These shadows look beautiful on all skin tones and are great neutral staples.



- Eyeliner can be tricky if you're new to it so I would recommend a pencil like the Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Liquid Eyeliner Pencil in Black Point (Black color) or Espresso Last (Brown color), $2.49 each at Walgreens. These liners glide on effortlessly and stay on all day without fading or smudging.


- Mascara is my last step for the eyes and there are so many great drugstore/beginner mascaras! The CoverGirl Clump Crusher ($7.99) is an updated version of the Lashblast Fusion. It is great for both lengthening and volumizing. If you want just lengthening I would recommend the L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions ($9.99) and if you want just volumizing then I would recommend the L'Oreal Volumious Carbon Black ($7.99). I find that I don't need the waterproof version of these mascaras but that's up to you if you want waterproof or not.

Lips:

- When you're just getting started into makeup, the easiest, most fool-proof lip option is a lip butter. These are sheer lipsticks that are a lip balm, lipstick, and lip gloss all in one. I love the Revlon Color Burst Lip Butters ($7.99) because of the shade range and how pigmented they are for being a lip butter. My favorite everyday shade that looks great on everybody is Berry Smoothie (pictured above).



Disclaimer: The prices and pictures are from Target's, Walmart's, Walgreen's, and Ulta's website. Depending on where you shop, the prices will vary slightly, so the prices I have listed may not be the price at your local store.


Overall, I feel that these products are great for anyone who is new to makeup and will flatter every skin tone. Hope you like these recommendations!


~ Haley



No comments:

Post a Comment